House survey has shown up roofing issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. newbie here. We had a survey done on a 1930s house we're buying. Having had a chat to the surveyor my paraphrased write up of his comments are below

"Roof – timber structure is fine. All roof timber is dry. Tiles still have life left in them, but replace in the mid term. Some gaps on rear elevation and tidying up needed. Roof is boarded under the tiles which is good, but feels humid as little ventilation and lots of insulation, soffit boarding could be rotted in areas. Soffit board looks to be timber, but asbestos on left side (looking from front).

Some damp on loft floor, but isolated to 4-5 patches so localised. Roof needs patching as above. But again, no ventilation can exasperate the issue and cause rot if not dealt with.

Chimney – some damp around chimney in the loft. Roof finishing here is tiling and mortar. Best to change to lead flashing."

So my understanding of what is needed to make good in the short term is
1) replace tiles or re-mortar as needed (4-5 places?).
2) remove some insulation and replace soffit boards with ventilated items
3) Lead flashing to be added to chimney.

I've not had to do any roofing work on any previous house. Should I be budgeting less than £2k or £2k to £5k or higher still? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Under 2k! dont know the size of chimney for the leadwork..or the amount of soffit to be replaced but a roof repair and standard sized roof with a 2 vent chimney around 2k would be a safe bet.

to be honest it sounds a mega guess of a survey. there is patching and there is patching.. post some pictures if you can. don't put your neck on the block unless you love the place and have dosh on the strength of that.

Sponsored Links
OP,
On the face of it, these few things are minor items in terms of buying a house.
They are probably insignificant in terms of cost - dont sweat them, if you want the place go and buy it - just so long as the Survey Report is roughly in line with whatever the surveyor has already told you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back