Roof vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently strengthened my loft floor and starting to use it as a causal study area/retreat. I have an openable loft window fitted, but usually close it at night. With all the warm weather and lack of breeze, it has been somewhat warm up there. Therefore can I fit a couple of roof vents to allow air to circulate in the loft on the days and nights when I am not up there?

Are roof vent designed for this or air circulation in the physical rafter its self if insluated and boarded, i.e. in the 50mm air gap I left at he back?

Thanks

CP

Sponsored Links
Hi

If you have 'velux' roof lights these have a built in trickle ventilation function, just pull the window release handle down one notch, without opening the window.

Regards

Yes, the window does have a trickle vent, but the room still gets very hot as there is little circulation, hence why I was thinking of a roof vent as well to create circulation.

Thnaks

CP

Basically, it is roasting in the loft because you have done a diy conversion with no rafter insulation and now you wish to deal with the heat?

If so then tile vents are not the answer.

Plus, if we have another winter like last year, the heat of the Summer will be the least of your problems! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a kind of diy conversion, however I have purchased some insulation boards to go in the rafters and was considering drylining over then to seal them. Before I do that is therre any benefit to using the foil type board/insulation as well to deflect the heat from the roof?

In terms of winter, I have just had a new boiler fitted and the plummer suggested leaving a couple of CH pipes in the loft if I wanted to add a radiator at a later date.

Thanks

CP

I had a simular problem in my loft that i converted almost 20 years ago.I have coolag now known as kingspan in my joists and rafters.I just fitted 2 velux windows to get a through draft.I must admit if both windows are not left open it does get really hot up there in the summer though but its warm in winter :rolleyes: .Failing that get a air conditioning unit lol.

I had a simular problem in my loft that i converted almost 20 years ago.I have coolag now known as kingspan in my joists and rafters.I just fitted 2 velux windows to get a through draft.I must admit if both windows are not left open it does get really hot up there in the summer though but its warm in winter :rolleyes: .Failing that get a air conditioning unit lol.

Thanks for your response. It is Kingspan that I will be using as well. The issue with aircon is exhausing it out of the loft, unless I used a roof tile vent??? Would a vent have high enough capacity for an air con unit?

CP

A vent relieves the suction caused in the system by liquid that's draining into it. If the vent's clogged it slows the draining action down and that can cause blockages. All our homes are on on slabs in my area so I understand your layout. That larger roundish section with a hexegon type bolt top is called a "clean out or inspection tee" and it connects into a branch that also services the kitchen sink so if you have a blockge inn the branch it affects both fixtures.

Triangle_Roof_Vent.jpg

roof contractors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back