Roof water disposal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I'm just having an extension built and was wondering if the rain Water from the extension and original building can go into the mains sewer or not,I thought I'd ask on here before asking building control.I would rather go into the mains sewer than dig a soakaway.
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Afaik yes

But mine goes to a soakaway and I get a discount from Thames water
But not enough to cover a soakaway build

No. A new extension/new rainwater drain needs to go into a soakaway, unless that it not possible. Putting the rain water into existing sewers is the last option.

Sponsored Links
How does that work then? I've done a couple of extensions with soakaways to regs, should I have been telling the water company?
Read your water bill. There is a charge for supply of water and one for the removal of water - rain and foul.

If you can demonstrate that all of your rain water does not go into the public network - including any run-off from your drive, then you can claim a discount on the charges for rainwater disposal.

I've just spoken to building control and they've said that if the rain Water from my house goes into the mains sewer then the rain water from my new extension can do the same.

I've just spoken to building control and they've said that if the rain Water from my house goes into the mains sewer then the rain water from my new extension can do the same.
What local authority? Birmingham council suggests soakaways, but I’m keen to bung my rainwater down the sewer. My sewer pipe runs right where I want the down pipes and a soakaway would require a bugger of a run.

I was given no choice but to build a soakaway for my single story extension. Joining the sewer would have required a run of 0.4m. The soakaway required a run of 20m, which involved digging up 2 concrete paths, and hand shovelling a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5m hole in the middle of the lawn.

The powers that be would not budge.

A lot depends on what ground you're on- up here it is mostly heavy clay, soakaways don't work so Building Control tell you to drain into the foul drainage system. BCO will give you the definitive.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back