Roofer insists warm-deck roof needs an air-gap... is he right, does it matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We plan to replace the top deck on a warm-roof project. It is a standard setup currently T&G lower deck -> VPL -> PIR -> 18mm ply -> shingles and the ply will be re-laid with OSB and EPDM used so the new roof will retain the PIR and be virtually the same except using EPDM as the weatherproof layer.

551198ea-b5f0-4384-99d4-615d0a6483f6.WyI2MDB4NjAwIiwic2NhbGUiXQ.jpg

We are torn between self-install (with help) or using a roofer but one roofer is adament we need an air-gap between the PIR and top-deck OSB - his quote includes battening with thin (10-20mm) lathes between PIR and OSB.

I am fairly sure this isn't needed and I heard his other partner debating with him on it (but he's the gaffer and insists) but he's well-respected and very experienced. Realistically, would doing it his way cause any problem? Is there a benefit? If it makes no real odds I am not going to argue "because I watched a YouTube video" but if it's a bad thing to do, I would perhaps pick someone else if he's totally insistent doing this.

Sponsored Links
It can't harm - there are such things as hybrid roofs - but if the the vapour barrier does its job there shouldn't be a problem with condensation getting through to the deck and so no need for ventilation that a cold roof has.

Blup

A warm roof absolutely does not need ventilation, as for benefit, the benefit is all for the roofer to charge you extra for something unecessay, he would also have to fit vents either side of the roof, at your additional expense.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back