Roofing a Wooden Gazebo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a hardwood gazebo over my spa in the back garden. The original fabric roof didn't even last the summer before it tore, so I thought about putting a wooden roof on it.

The gazebo is 8' square and the roof is made of four triangles up to a centre point. Thus the part of the wood that sits on the triangle outer edges will not sit flat and may need some sort of bevel, but I would rather not!

I considered feather edged fencing as a roof but think a ply roof with some sort of reed screen stapled onto it will be better.

OK, I'm not bad at DIY but sometimes I don't know what will work or will choose a method that would make a boat builder cringe. So will this idea work and what pitfalls do I need to consider? Has anyone got a suggestion of another way i could give my gazebo an attractive roof.

Cost is a factor but something that will last a fair amount of time and is attractive is more important. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I didn't get the bit about not sitting flat, and bevels, are each of the 4 triangles curved round slightly?? If so, just use thinner ply and bend it round.

You'll also need to waterproof the ply.

You could give it a layer of felt, or some kind of paint-on roof mastic. then the reed over that. The screen will make it decorative and will protect the roof covering from the sun. Probably.

...or use wooden roof shingles.

Thanks for the advice, the felt is a good idea.

The sides of the triangles are flat (difficult to explain this bit!) but when say a sheet of ply sits on the triangle it will sit the the edges of the triangle rather than the flat face.

The triangle sides are the 4 corners of the roof and meet together in the centre - at the apex of the roof. The plan view or the roof would be a square with a cross inside from corner to corner, making a square with 4 triangles on the inside.

Sorry to be confusing, I wish I could paste a simple drawing into this![/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona

I'm going to ring that company as they may have an alternative solution that would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back