Roofing disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not a roofer, but i want to share my problems and get some advice on possible solutions.

I own a 3 bed semi, around 100 years old with a slate roof. Around 15 years ago before we brought the house it was re-roofed, new felt put down & wooden battons but the same slates were put back on.

Ok, so the shared chimney needed looking at, some of the brick faces had blown out, pointing needed to be done, the flauncing needed replacing with the chimney pots, so i got a tradesman round who does this type of work, he recommended a scaffold company to use, so I got everything booked in.

The job went ahead, what first rang alarm bells is the chimney tradesman told me he noticed quite a few slates had been cracked/smashed where the scaffolding is.

The job was completed and the scaffolding came down, I got my ladder to go and have a look, and i counted around 40 cracked slates on my side of the house and around 15 cracked on next doors roof!!!!

So i'm looking into how to repair it, i've had a few roofers round to have a look, they seem to have a different way of fixing the new slates in place -

1- Use Adhesive
2- Use Hallhooks
3- Use Hall hooks & Adhesive
4- Use a lead hook at the bottom.

What is the best way to do the repairs? I want the repair to last the longest and not to show as i think alot of lead hooks on a roof looks bad.

Also if adhesive is used what is the best type to use?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately this can and does happen 40 sounds clumsy though.
Adhesive is not reliable. Hall hooks are good and my favoured method for replacing a natural slate.
"Lead hooks" or tingles will spoil the look and make it obvious there has been damage.

Hall hooks and adhesive.. do they mean to adhesive back up the Hall hook or some hooked and some glued It shouldn't be necessary

Hi, thanks for your reply, one roofer said they would use hallhooks & adhesive, i took that to mean they would use hooks on every slate repair with a couple of blobs of adhesive as a secondary fix incase the hallhook fails.
I'm almost 100% convinced to use hallhooks, do you also think it is necessary in addition to the hook use adhesive?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First I doubt you will need a HH on every damaged slate. There has to be a few damaged slates in a patch unless your chimney is massive.
So if you have a few in a patch, say 6 slates you could probably get away with 1 HH. The other replacement slates can be nailed.

I dont see any point in using glue as well as a very reliable slate fix system. nothing to be gained ..then again nothing to be lost either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back