Roofing felt behind fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just discovered that when we had our soffit/fasicas replaced that the fitters have trapped the membrane behind the fasica board. This was 15 years ago.

Our roof sarking is mostly felt apart from the first strip which is like a dpm material, it is this that is trapped behind the fasica board. There are no eaves protectors. It is only at the front of the house they have done this. It seems to be done intentionally, but is this normal?

What are the potential issues of this being this way for 15 years? I have been in the loft and because the dpm material is behind the fasica it actually covers the end of the rafters, so these seem well protected.

The only thing I can think of is wind blown rain or any water getting past the tiles will instead of running into the gutter will run down the back of the fasica board. But I have never seen this happening.

So is it worth getting this fixed?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Roofs never used to have any membrane or felt and functioned perfectly well...if you ever see water coming from behind your fascia you will know your roofs leaking.

membranes were introduced in the 1930's before that it was common to torch below the slates or tiles.
lots of torching still exists an still does the business.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back