Roofing Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum

Im new here, but have been reading through the forums and know im going to find it all very very useful.

I recently moved house, in the new property they erected a garage (of sorts) which basically is a roof that joins the house and the boundary wall and some block work front and rear with a garage door.

My problem is that the first time it rained after we had moved in the garage leaked like a seive. on inspection of the roof i found a single layer of roofing felt, which was tired and dry. This was laid on top of fibre board (think its called that) and that made up the roof. I made some running repairs just to get us through the worst of the winter, but am now thinking about my options.

The biggest issue with the roof is that it runs at a very shallow pitch (but not flat) so I cant tile it etc. So im wondering what my options are, should i go for a professional type flat roof, or could i use a corrugated roofing material? Or are there other options. I would really like to do it myself, although i think the flat roof, tar and felt thing might best be left to a professional.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

THanks in advance

James

Sponsored Links
jharrison said:
Or are there other options. I would really like to do it myself, although i think the flat roof, tar and felt thing might best be left to a professional.
I don't know what your diy'er capability are but a lean-to pitch roof is the best way to go or maybe a glazing bar with polycarbonate roof sheeting

From what you are saying you have already managed to close off the front and rear with blockwork and fitted a door.

If if was me, I would simply remove the roof, increase the pitch by adding a little more block (brick) work.

Move or re do the flashing and there you have it, a roof at a greater pitch that will allow you to create a tiled finish.

Thats assuming you are a competent diy'er

It isn't a hard job and seeing its only going to be a garage you don't exactly need to rush.

Sponsored Links
Thanks diy. I would increase the pitch, but the current roof pitches just under the main roof of the house, so thats not an option. I also note theres currently no flashing at all, so I think this should be the first issue to address. I would say im a reasonable DIYer, but roofs are a bit new to me. Im finding loads of info on here though, that should be useful.

As for adding the flashing, what is the best way of creating a channel to fit it in to (on the block work) can you run down a line with a grinder and a masonary wheel? Also, do you then fill the gap (once the flashing is in place) with a flexible filler, or with concrete fillets or something else?

Thanks

James

I always use a Sthil saw but a 9" electric grinder will do the job. I would get a Diamond blade and NOT a carbide one.

I also use red line, Its string soaked in a red dye. You use it like you would a chalk line then grind along the line. You could also simply attach a piece of roofing battern about 5" higher than the top of the tiles then grind along that to get a nice straight line.

This is all assuming you have a rendered finish ? if it is brick, then simply grind out one of the motar lines again about 5" up from the tile.

You use little stainless steel clips to secure the lead into the grove created by the grinder then once you are happy, seal the joint with leadmate.

Here's one i did earlier :)

Yopu can see i got a little carried away with the grinder :oops: and you can also see the leas had'nt been sealed when i took the picture.

leadline.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back