Room extension - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a room extension in my house (previous owner) where the roof is not completely flat but rather, the window is sticking out (please see attached picture).

My questions are:
1). is it possible to change it so that the room becomes a "normal room", i.e., one with a flat roof.
2). If the answer is yes, then can I have an estimate of the costs (very high level)?
3). Would this change require planning permission?

Thank you very much in advance.

IMG_20161113_111607784_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry if I did not make much sense in the first post. I attach further pictures below.

The roof is not flat for the room extension and is impacting the space available on the inside which is really annoying. We cannot make full use of the room and want to make the roof flat so that the 2 cuts on either side of the room go away.

Is that ok?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20161114_082921734.jpg

IMG_20161114_082940093.jpg

He's saying can he make the dormer the full width.
It can more than likely be done, from a buildabilty POV, as for planning, what elevation is this roof? If on rear probably no planning required, if on the side you'll need planning for any additional glazibg unless it's obscured glass, if on the front, probably a no go with regards to getting permission.

As for cost I'd hazard up to about £12k I doubt it would be economical to retain anything of the existing dormer other than the tiles.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back