Room Stat wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Further to my previous post, I've finally gotten my head around the heating system (well, partially anyway!) in my new house.

As the CH is driven from the Thermal Store, turning the CH on or off is simply a case of activating the CH pump.

I've got an old room stat/ programmer, and it has L&N connections, common, demand, and satisified connections.

At the moment, the pump just has a plug, and I need to switch on the plug to make the CH work.
So I presume I just wire the mains to L&N to give the programmer power.

I'm not sure how the power is then delivered to the pump.
Do I connect common and demand to the pump place of my current wall plug, or are they just signalling connections?
If they are signalling connections, does that mean I need something else like a relay to provide power to the pump when switched by the common and demand?

Sponsored Links
Something must be switching the pump on / off already, unless it's running 24/7, in which case it will not be a permanent supply. But without seeing it, it is impossible to tell. The plug may be just used as a method of connection to facilitate an easy change of the pump. If so, then it will have a switched supply and not suitable for a programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back