Room venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pensioner relative needed cavity wall insulation. Got in contact with a firm to give her a survey and quote. With all the help with grants etc, the cost was pretty good however, things not as straight forward as we thought. The guy reckons if she gets cavity wall insulation done, she would have to get the gas company to fit a wall vent!! She has a gas fire in the living room/dining room with a wall mounted boiler in the kitchen. Why would she need a vent put into the living room/dinning room if she gets cavity wall insulation, if she doesn't need it without??
All help greatly appreciated as she won't go ahead if she needs the vent.

Sponsored Links
the purpose of the vent is to safely ventilate her living space and reduce the risk of being suffocated or poisoned.

She is just as likely to die of it whether she has cavity wall insulation or not

but the cavity wall people are supposed to check for that sort of thing.

Making a hole in the wall with a 105mm core drill is child's play (fairly strong child though) and no big deal. It does not need to be done by the gas company. You could hire a drill and do it yourself, fit vent trim grill inside and out (not closable, though)

Cavity insulation is wonderful, it makes the house warmer and saves you lots of money.

"Nose" and "face" spring to mind if she refuses to have it done because she doesn't approve of ventilation.

I am a householder not a pro.

Ventilation is specific to appliances. If the fire is below 7.5Kw then ventilation isn't required but is recommended as nowadays we live in a double glazed fully insulated society and there is becoming less and less advantitous air.

The boiler will depend on what make and model it is. If you can give details of the appliances we may be able to help you further but if it is an open flued appliance then it will need ventilation to external air.

Post further info and i'm sure you will see further answers

Thanks jonjb.
I'll check on the fire and boiler specs at the weekend and post further info.
To complete the picture, the reason she doesn't want to go ahead if the vent is required is her next door neighbour had to get a vent fitted as she had a back boiler with her fire but, as they live in the Forth estuary, the hurricane force draft that blows in the vent is horrendous and negates the benefits of insulation.

Sponsored Links
You can purchase anti draught vents and also anti draught cowls that cover the external vent while still maintaining the correct airflow should they be required. There is no reason to suffer from draughts and it only costs a little more.

Permanent ventilation is mandatory for a room fitted with a back boiler.
There are permanent vents on sale which vent but stop draughts google gas ventilators and see, if you fit a vent yourself bear in mind that the cavity can't be left open to the vent ( cavity must have liner between inner and outer vent.

Permanent ventilation is mandatory for a room fitted with a back boiler.

OP doesn't have a back boiler its a wall mounted kitchen one just need to find out the details to see if it is open flue or not chances are that its room sealed and was a replacement for a BBU as its the neighbour that still has the BBU

Yes i know that but thought i would give that information because a pound to a penny i bet her neighbour has blocked hers up.

put the vent on the lee side of the house (if it has one)

Yes i know that but thought i would give that information because a pound to a penny i bet her neighbour has blocked hers up.

Sorry if it sounded like a grandmother/egg situation!! :D

I've taught all my tenants now and not one of them block their vents up after i condem the boiler the first time.

Cant help noticing the sellotape marks on the wall around the vents though, its as if they take something off before i get there??....... :eek:

The smart (actually really really Stupid) cstomers ive went to have had cellophane (sel-o-fane(Spellings dire)) stretched tight inside the core vent so even on looking through it all seemes well till a screwdrivers poped in lol

never saw the point of having a fire and a a boiler.
the 24/7 ventilation usually cools the house more than the few hours the got the fire on. the old folks are a lot better off if they disconnect the fire, block off the flue and just rely on the boiler, but you can't tell 'em that.

never saw the point of having a fire and a a boiler. the 24/7 ventilation usually cools the house more than the few hours the got the fire on. the old folks are a lot better off if they disconnect the fire, block off the flue and just rely on the boiler, but you can't tell 'em that.

As a joint venture to provide heating then no i agree but (and you mentioned the elderly) if there is a power failure then the majority of fires are still able to provide a form of heating for them.

It may not be efficient but its better than hypothermia!

The same can be said for a combi boiler and an electric shower set up. If the boiler fails theres still a supply of DHW for hygiene reasons.

BTW i deal with alot of OAP's and district nurses etc and my partner is a nurse and loss of these services can have dire consequences.

I can see what you are saying though but i always prefer the belt and braces approach to some things.

Carry those as a matter of course if it can't be fixed there and then.

Not electric blankets mind you, what with the bladder control of some of them. HSE gone mad lol.

Seriously you would be suprised with some of the implications of no heat or hot water with some of the people that i deal with.

The other problem comes when they are so immobile that they sleep in the living room and their bed and all medical equipment are in there.

And they have a BBU or fire without FFD's or Oxypilots.

It's fun when you have to tell them it's gotta go off!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back