Air Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a gas back boiler and open flame fire front removed. We plan to get a hole in the wall high efficiency glass fronted gas fire fitted with a 4.2 kW output. We have a largish vent in the room courtesy of the last installation. This vent sits behind a radiator. Once the fire is delivered, the gas fitter will be round to look at the job again, but is he likely to suggest that we keep the current vent, as it is already there. The reason I ask is that we want cavity wall insulation and the vent is not sleeved so we will have to fit a new sleeved vent to the existing hole at least. I am just trying to plan ahead a bit. The room has been stripped back to brick so want to plan all such work now.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer's instructions need to be consulted to what ventilation is required.

Its likely to be less than the old boiler and may be better to fit a new sleeved one.

Dont forget to block up the old one unless you want your room to be filled with cavity wall insulation!

Tony

Thanks for that. What I forgot to mention is that the current internal and external vents are out of line by about 150mm so I am going to have to cut out some blockwork to line up the holes. I will fit a complete new sleeved vent assembly once the gas fitter has given me a size.

Panic not!

It is higjly unlikely that the fire will need a vent. In fact I would almost guarantee it. I certainly would not stock or sell it if it demanded one.

Having said that, this is always subject to a satisfactory spillage test. If, and I have never encountered it, it spills and is rectified by opening a window,then a small vent may be required.

What is the make and model,and where are you located?

Sponsored Links
The fire is an Apex Mystique HE. As the vent was already there, I was thinking along the lines of "will it do any harm keeping it". If I loose the vent, I will have to make good outside to try and hide where the vent was.
I am in Cumbria by the way.

Dave, I have never heard of Apex, and Iam a fire retailer!

You never NEED to close a vent, but you would be suffering heat loss through it, regadless of your perception f draughts. I personally would close it off, subject to m cooments earlier, and it shouldn't be difficult to do it tidily.

I looked at their website, but I couldn't access their manuals.

I can not comment on the quality of the fires, but I note that they are sold through the 'net, and don' mention brick and mortar shops. Have you considered the warranty issue? Your installer won't be respsible for fire faults (unlesshe supplies it), and 'net sellers just direct you to the maker. Try to phone them to determine their arrangements - dig deep, question carefully, and you may be shocked at your findings.

EDIT: I have just looked again at their site, and they don't list an adress or a phone number. Weird. They say you contact the retailer for warranty work, which is no good if it bought off the'net. How did you come across it?

We found it after scouring the net for days looking for something we liked. It was the only one we could find that had the glass front, the colour surround we wanted, a deep coal bed, fitted the hole we had and was a Hole in the Wall design. We also wanted something fairly plain that wasn't trying to look like a conventional fire. It is the same fire as the Crystal Royale I believe.

It is the same fire as the Crystal Royale I believe.[/quote]

How embarrasing :oops: I sell the Crystal range, but I hadn't looked at the Mystique image, but it is clearly the same fire.

The Crystal is OK, but the five year warranty relies upon the replacement of the ODS safety device, although the part is a LOT cheaper than some others.

One heads up. The original Royale had 4 rows of coals attached to each other and they were completely naff. I would make sure yours comes with loose coals

This change ODS change that a lot of manufacturers are coming up with is a bloody disgrace and absolute con it needs challenging ,it is just a get out

Thanks for the heads up about the coal bed. We were a bit stuck over which option to go for but luckily have opted for the loose coals as we (quite rightly by the sounds of it) thought the loose coals may look a bit better.

This change ODS change that a lot of manufacturers are coming up with is a bloody disgrace and absolute con it needs challenging ,it is just a get out

I agree. They would say that because fires are not always serviced properly, they get blocked and cause nuisance shutdown, and they do have a point. Forcing a change of part largely eradicates the problem, but I've rarely changed one for failure reasons.It also does, of course, massively reduce the number of folks qualifying for the "free" extended warranty.

As a point of interest, we sel Paragon fires, in the main, as they don't insist on the part. Neither do Valor,if it is sold by a Valor centre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back