Room venting

Thanks everybody for their response to my problem.
jonjb,
I wasn't aware that draught preventing vents were available so cheers for that, I found them as suggested on the web and may convince her using these.
Still wonder if she really needs the vents however as the appliances were fitted and regularly serviced by British Gas with no mention of the need for ventilation. The fact that she is getting cavity wall insulation I wouldn't have thought would change that??
As for using a fire as well as a boiler..Scotland in winter is not for the faint hearted at the best of times and most people require the direct heat of a fire even with the central heating on, the older you get....etc, etc.
As per my original message I'll find out more at the weekend.

Cheers everybody

Sponsored Links
If the gas fire didnt need a vent before I cant see it needing one after cavity wall insulation. The MIs will say if one is required or not, as a general rule a Decorative gas fires over 7kw need a 100cm² vent, others dont.

I recently had a similar problem with one of my customers.He was getting cavity wall insulation done.But the Cavity wall firm said they were not allowed to install it unless he had MIs for his gas fire or a data badge attached showing the input.
As the manufacturers are now defunkt and the fire WAS a crappy inset DFE,it has had to be removed and a new one will be fitted.

Conclusion=unless you can prove the input to the fire is less than 7kw,they will not fit the insulation.

Check whether there is a data badge attached showing input or get in touch with manufacturer for a new set of MIs.

I`d rather install a new fire than put in a wall vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back