Room without external walls & vents for gas fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend recently had their open fronted inset (into old chimney breast) gas fire condemned at a service, because the room had no ventilation apart from the doors. The room has no external walls so fitting vents will be difficult. We have a similar situation but were told that because our fire is glass fronted & sealed we did not need vents fitted when we had it installed. Does our friend have any options & were we advised correctly. We have a carbon monoxide detector above the fire which has never indicated a problem & the updraft is always ok when a smoke device is placed near the test point, but I am slightly perturbed that it should never have been installed in this room.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the fire.

If there are no outside walls and a vent is required, then the vents need to be bigger through each intervening wall as you go from the outside.

The Gas Engineer should know all this.

Don't assume that the rules for your fire as the same for your friend's.

The friends engineer did not offer any advice on how to vent, just that it needed doing before they could service it. Not very helpful.
I am not assuming ours will have the same requirements which is why I am asking if I was wrongly advised about there being no need for added ventilation in our installation.

Like i said - it depends on the fires. There are different requirements for different types. Just because your's has a glass front doesn't mean it is sealed either, and judging by the advice you've had so far I would not be so confident.

We'll need the makes and models of the fires, maybe some pictures of them too.

@FiremanT knows more than I do though.

Sponsored Links
Like i said - it depends on the fires. There are different requirements for different types. Just because your's has a glass front doesn't mean it is sealed either, and judging by the advice you've had so far I would not be so confident.

We'll need the makes and models of the fires, maybe some pictures of them too.

@FiremanT knows more than I do though.

Spot on Dan. No comments really possible without the info. Without writing pages of IFS and buts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back