Rot under leaking shower / bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure which subforum this should be in, please move if I've got it wrong.

Familiar story - leaking sealant round a shower/bath that I hadn't noticed, only became apparent when plaster started to go powdery on the other side of an internal wall.

The whole bathroom was professionally gutted and refitted about four years ago; new plywood under the bath, partial replastering, then tiled over the plaster. As far as we knew he'd done a good job, and I accept that if I'd spotted the sealant leak sooner there wouldn't have been a problem. The area was completely sealed so there was no ventilation.

I've replaced the sealant and taken off the bath panel in the hope it won't get worse and even begin to dry out, but I'm expecting to need to call a professional in to put right the damage.

What's worrying me is that as well as the usual water stains and mould, there's some fungal growth which has developed strands which have begun to climb the plaster wall. Obviously I'm thinking worst case, i.e. dry rot, but I'd like some idea of what it might be so I can avoid being taken for a ride.

The strands look to me to have a yellowish/brown tinge, as do the patches on the floor - this has only just been exposed to light, if that makes any difference.

I don't expect this to be a cheap job to sort out, whether or not it's dry rot, and I'm not competent to do the job myself, but any guidance would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Dunno what you are panicking about. Stop the leak, , give it a good clean out with bleachy water, let it dry out, liberally apply a couple of coats of spirit/kerosine type rot killer (Wickes do one) then forget about it. Just make sure you don't let it happen again. No moisture = no rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back