Rotating basin tap

T

teddyb

Hello all

This, I'm sure, is a question you will all shrug your shoulders or raise your eyebrows at! However, here goes:

How can I stop the taps on my bathroom basin rotating when I use them?

There is very little room behind and under the basin to get many tools there - that makes it difficult to actually see the size of spanner needed. Also there appears to be no washer or anything between the tap base and the basin - making things very easy to move. Is this right? Should there be some sort of washer between the basin and the tap?

Any advice will, as always, be genuinely appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get an Essex Fix-a-Tap kit - orange for ceramic basins:
banner-images-flanges.png

http://www.essexflanges.com/fix-a-tap.html

This looks interesting and helpful, thanks, but it looks as though I'd need to take the tap off the basin in order to use it. Am I right?
Is it within the capabilities of a reasonably ok diyer?

Sponsored Links
There's usually little need for a washer between tap and basin. A wipe of sealant on the base of the tap before assembly usually does the job.

However, a decent washer UNDER the basin, and a decent backnut, brass for preference, can do wonders for rigidity. Sometimes plastic backnuts split or strip as they are tightened.

Another aid to rigidity of the setup is rigid copper pipework up to the tap connectors instead of the flexis that are often used.

A basin wrench :-
ae235
or
ae235
is useful for getting at the backnuts and tap connectors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back