Rotted wood behind guttering facia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an extension with felt roof. We removed the guttering and the wooden board behind it. Noticed that the they have put joist, which is partly rotting.

However, I am not sure if they have done the job properly. As they have put the joist on top of bricks and lintel. Should they have put a barrier between the concrete lintel and the joist?. Replacing the joist is going to be hard, as they have built a flat roof ontop of it. So have to remove the joist and replace in section.

What sort of barrier should be using between the lintel and supporting joist?

Sponsored Links
if it is no where near ground level so no chance of rising damp, then I wouldn't have thought any barrier necessary.

May be I am confusing people by using the term joist. The wood in question look like joists to me.

Sponsored Links
extension.jpg

In the above photo, I have a white painted board with the guttering attached. There was another white board below this one, which has been removed and you can see water damaged joist. The front is damaged, but behind it seems to be okay.

When I posted this, I thought they put the joist ontop of the lintel, but it seem on closer look. There is a layer of cement and possibly, they may have put a DPC plastic layer (not sure).

That timber should not be exposed. The idea of fascia board is that is covers timber and protects it. No DPC would help and that's not the issue.

OP, if you want more suggestions then post pics showing more of the fascias and the top surface of the roof.

catlad's wallplate notion is right - or fwiw maybe the original flat roof was water damaged but was not totally removed or partially repaired before another new "roof" was installed on top - in essence you would now have a double roof?
whats the situation inside below the flat roof - any damp signs?

the drip edge and guttering could have been detailed better but now the lower fascia has been removed its hard to tell if the gutter/drip was a factor in any water penetration?

the Pvc frame should have been set back 75mm min from face of brickwork.

The facia needed to be one board , using two is a bodge, allows water to get to the wall .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back