Rotten floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a house where there are rotten joists in to the bay window.It appears over time the air bricks have got blocked and hence the rot.I have had a quote of £3000 to remove all joists and floorboards together with chemical treatment etc and replaced with new joists and floorboards the full length of the room.My question is as the rot is only a couple of feet from the bay window is it possible to just cut the joists say an additional foot away from the rot and instead of replacing the complete length of the room,15 feet, by using metal brackets to join anew piece of joist the the existing ones.

Sponsored Links
1. How did the air bricks get blocked?

2. There might be more to it than just the air bricks.

3. Thro ventilation from front to rear of the sub-area is needed.

4. Penetrating damp from bridging ground levels or blocked cavities can also play a part.

5. Your suggestion is correct: its usually called a bolt-on method.

6. To really help you why dont you post pics of inside and outside the bay, and below the floor where the joist tails go into the brickwork?

is the whole floor rotten?

if its just the ends then you may be able to build a new sleeper wall,say 1m back from the bay,install new wall plate cut back rotten joists and install new 1s into the bay by sistering them at the side.
3 k sounds a awful lot of dosh.
if its just wet rot,you can hire out the pump and buy the chemical yourself.especially if a so called guarantee isnt required.

Sponsored Links
Yea, I don't get something, replace everything and then charge you for treatment.

Treating what if its all removed?

Treatment is usually only to protect any timbers to be retained, and to give them protection whilst they dry.

Once they are dry, or if they are already dry, dry timber does not decay.

It's also unusual for the floorboards to be significantly rotted except for a few at the permiter, certainly not the whole lot.

Whether you splice bits of timber or replace the joists as a whole is just a question of what is quickest and cheapest, methods others say above are golden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back