Rotten garage door jamb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bottom part of my garage door jamb is quite badly rotten - pic attached and so I am planning on perhaps cutting it off at the joint that you can see at top of pic with something like a multitool and just do a straight swap with some new weather treated wood and protect it with a good external paint (I need to repaint the door anyway). Is this as easy as it sounds? are there any pitfalls I should anticipate?. I'm not even sure how it is secured to the wall - presumably a couple of long screws. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Luis

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_165420.jpg
    IMG_20210512_165420.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure a multi tool would cut straight and deep enough, a sharp handsaw cutting at an angle above the rotten wood, should though.

Cut the new piece at the same angle and use an epoxy repair system like timbabuild. It will cover any gaps and can be sanded. You can paint or at least prime the new wood before fitting. I have used meranti for this type of repair but treated softwood should be ok.

Set the bottom of the new piece above the floor to avoid the damp getting in again.

Hammer fixings or even concrete screws should suffice, counterboring into the wood if desired.

Blup

If you are hanging a heavy door from a hinge, an expansion bolt might be more appropriate, and/or sit the jamb on a piece of slate or similar so the ground bears some of the weight.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem with our Garage Door and was contemplating the same procedure

6 1/2 bricks up there appears to be a joint line from a previous repair.
5 bricks up there is a pozi screw holding the repair to the brickwork
Remove screw and you might find the patch has been made by three thinner pieces of wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back