How to prevent door jamb rotting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could pick some brains.

We recently bought a new house with a sectional concrete garage. Due to a combination of no guttering and water pooling at the side of the garage one of the door jambs has got severe rot.

I've bought a replacement timber jamb however I was wondering the best way of ensuring the new jamb lasts a reasonable amount of time?

I have fitted drainage to the garage to take the water from the garage and prevent the pooling we had before. What other steps should I be looking to take? Treat the wood i presume (especially the end in contact with the ground), maybe silicone the ground where the jamb will rest sand around the jamb. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Russ

Sponsored Links
stand the bottom ends in a bucket/container off preservative for a couple off days
install with a 1" gap between floor and wood and make sure you paint the end grain more than the rest

Thanks for the reply.

My only concern is that if there is a 1inch gap that this will allow the garage to get soaking wet inside (as it currently does with a 1 inch gap from rot).

The jamb is also installed in a structural capacity I believe to transfer the weight of the door on the beam above to the floor

the jamb sdhould be bolted to the wall, not standing on the floor. It won't transmit much weight once the bottom has rotted away.
edit: I see yours is sectional concrete, not brickwork, so that might start a crack unless it already has factory holes

You can cast a concrete foot, or lay a couple of bricks, to take the jamb 150mm or so above floor level. This will make it less damp and will fill the draughty gap.

Agree with soaking it in preserver. I use Cuprinol. Let it dry fully before painting. Rain will run down and get onto the bottom, but you can cut it on a slant (inside higher) to encourage water to drip off.

Sponsored Links
if your sure its its load bearing
soak paint the end several times and sit on slate cut to size

In that case it might not be load bearing, well not directly to the floor anyway as it is bolted to the concrete panels of the garage by 4 bolts per side if I remember correctly.

So with that in mind I think I'll soak the ends in preserver as mentioned above, chop an inch or so above ground and fill the gap with concrete.

Thanks a lot for the advise guys, its very much appreciated.

Russ

Use pressure treated timber - will last for decades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back