Rotten joist??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m doing a bathroom refurb as I had damp in the wall above the shower. Had it professionally replastered and now installing a new shower tray and inclosure.

have found a couple of rotten boards under the tray which I am planning to replace with 18mm construction plywood. There is also 1 joist that isn’t looking great. All the others seem fine. I think I can guess the answer, but thought I’d check. Do I need to get this replaced or will the other joists bear the load ok? In the photo the wall to the right is external and the one behind the joist is load bearing.

Sponsored Links
Do I need to get this replaced or will the other joists bear the load ok?

I'd replace, especially as it will be below a shower tray. The last thing you need is some movement later on which could be expensive to resolve.

What you show is perhaps early Dry Rot on the joist, and maybe more rot on what looks like timber supporting plates below the joist tails.
Are the plates wood or brickwork, its difficult to tell from the pics?
I'd suggest that you cut out all damaged wood, and replace with a treated bolt on or sistered joist.
All wood bits and pieces should be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back