rotten joists / wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While repairing 1st floor I found joist ends are rotten joining outside wall. To make the situation worse there resting on a rotten wooden wall plate that is built in to brickwork of inside course at 1st floor level. Brick work of inner course continues from top of wall plate to roof level the wall is solid brick with cross bonding courses. I have spoken to mate he told me to in remove small sections of wall plate and replace with bricks then replace joists.
Joists are 7" by 2" closest size treated timber available is 8" by 45 mm regularized and cut down to 7" span is 3.2 m at 400mm centers. Recess in both walls are 120 mm deep. Wall is about 3.2 m long containing 9 joists all in poor condition. Is 45mm 7” timber ok. I would welcome any advice about this job

Sponsored Links
You can join a new joist section (which does not have to be the full length) to the side of the existing, after cutting out any rotten bits at the end.

You can put the new joists on metal hangers. Or wrap ends in thick polythene
and you can remove the timber in the wall and replace with brick

47x170 joists will span 3200mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back