Rotten porch oak pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

any advise on how to repair those pillar's and prevent future damage ? they are solid oak but are rotting from the bottom up.

I was thinking of putting some acrow's then cutting the pillars where the rot is and dig up a hole and fill with concrete and use something like this ? there's also other options like this ?

never done anything like this so not sure if this is the best way to do it or if I'm over complicating it.

your help and advice is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
Is it structural or for appearance?

Dropping it into a shoe may make the problem worse if the water pools around the base, and you will still have the rot. Best to cut out the rot, treat the base, and sit it on a stone plinth that slopes around the edges for the water run off.

As a bodge you could bolt some thick steel either side to take the weight, then drill out the rot, you might be able to make a feature of it

Blup

Posts should be stood on a flat surface with a sheet of lead between slab and post. The lead is then trimmed to the size of the post. The lead was trimmed after the photo was taken. The house was built in 1980, the posts are still in good condition.

upload_2022-3-9_9-30-30.png

What may work for you is to support the roof with temporary supports, remove the damaged timber and replace with a brick pillar or replacement timber.

Sponsored Links
Have you pushed a thin nail into the post? It could just be the surface thats rotten. 10mm in, it could be tough as old boots.

I see the noggin of wood to the side is rotten. As Bernard suggested the detail is wrong on your posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back