rotten wood behind plaster and render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have removed the plaster and concrete render from a wall under the stairs to find the source of a damp patch that was showing thru.
I have uncovered what I believe to be the source which is a long piece of wood built into the brickwork of the house. The wood is damp and starting to rot, (see pics).
I am not sure why the wood is there? It certainly looks newer than the house, (which is around 100 years old).

Can anyone help with the best action to take? I need to treat the wood for rot and prevent it from causing damp in the future before I re-render and plaster. Ideally I don't want to have to attempt to cut the wood out. I have previously repaired the external render on the house so I believe I have solved the original cause of the dampness.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
put a strip of plasterboard over the full length of wood render to it and when your skimming make sure to tape the joint where the plasterboard meets the render with fibre tape to reduce cracking.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds like a good option. I will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back