Render over brick and wood on interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed about 1 square metre of blown plaster from an inside wall. There were no damp problems, the plaster was just loose after removing wallpaper.

After reading lots on this site, I think I should render this with a cement/sand mixture. Then put a top coat on. It will then have backing paper before being painted.

But there is a plank of wood under the upvc window supporting it on the bricks.

Can I simply render over both the wood and the brick?

My house is about 1920, solid walls and the previous plaster had horse-hair in it.

Would love some advice about how to proceed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cut away any loose plaster from around the edges of the patch, then give the area a good brush down to remove any dust etc. Cut a piece of polythene, and cover the plank of wood with it,,, tack it on with small nails. Once you've done that, cover the polythene with some eml (wire mesh). Let the wire mesh overlap the polythene onto the brickwork. Again, fix the mesh with nails. You're now ready to scratchcoat the area. Mix up a batch of sand and cement, 4 to 1, (4 of sand/ 1 of cement), with plasticiser/waterproofer in. Give the area a good damp down/pva, the edges too, then scratchcoat the whole area to about half to 2/3 of the thickness. Let it set, then mix up the top coat of render,, 5-1-1 (5 plastering sand, 1 cement, 1 of lime). Put on the top coat render, bring it out flush, let it set, then put on your finishing plaster, ( multi finish).

The polythene covering the wooden strip, stops the old, dry timber from swelling up and cracking the new render/plaster. The wire mesh is for giving the render/plaster a key/grip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back