Rotting windows on period house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just bought a 1920's house in need of restoration. It has large hardwood bay windows which look a mess. On inspection I found that the upstairs bay window sills have been covered in lead which has been nailed Down across the whole sill. I didn't pull up the lead but it felt solid enough underneath. The end of the sill wasn't covered and felt a little soft.
Most of the rest of the frames were solid even though the paint is coming off and bare wood is showing, although on the front upright ( not sure what I call it) it looks like the outer surface of the wood is spitting but doesn't look structural

There is also a tudor effect which has some wet rot.

Who do I need to fix this? Carpenter, general builder or glazer?
I would prefer not to replace the whole thing with pvc as they are a nice feature and there is no rot at all on the lower frames. Is it a big job to replace the sills entirely?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Do a key test, this is done by pushing your car or door key into the timber, if you can do this then you need new windows. As the timber is rotten.

Andy

Upvc is not mandatory. A good joiner will make new wooden windows or repair the existing. It is often enough to fit new cills and splice the mullions, and possibly new sashes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses
I think I will try and go down your line maltaron, although they are casement rather than sash (I dont suppose this makes a difference) however I have a concern about the noise. A double glazer has suggested to me that we fix up the frames and put double glazing panels into the existing wood. Anyone have experience with this? I would rather not be a guinea pig

Also, will I get less road noise through UPVC than wood even though both would be double glazed? I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of installing double glazing panes in old frames then find they are still too loud.

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back