Rotting wooden garage door posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The bottom half of my wooden external garage door posts are rotting.

Replacing the posts competely is not possible for various reasons.

My question is, if the posts are covered with pvc cladding, will the old wooden posts continue to rot, assuming they will not be exposed to the weather?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I am actually having a new electric roller door fitted and the fitter said they would attach 2 new wooden posts behind the existing rotten posts, attaching to the brick pillars, then clad both old and new wooden posts, attaching the new roller door to the new wooden posts.

Just had a bit of concern about what would happen to the rotting wooden posts, but as the door is being attached to new posts, I assume it will be ok.....but had a nagging doubt in my mind!

Sponsored Links
Sure, that's fair enough but maybe the old posts can come out once the new frame is in....It's not likely that the rot will pass to the new posts anyway.
Hope your project goes well!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back