Rough costing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just trying to find a rough costing to open up a Kitchen to make a Kitchen Diner in a Terraced House , it's on a rear wall so 2 steels will be required , the finished opening will be about 3.3m ,in. All plastering etc the jobs in Manchester , we are just about to complete on the Sale and I'm just throwing some ideas around to see if it's worth doing re a resale etc

Regards

Phil

Sponsored Links
We're having a garage conversion and also doing same (knocking wall to open up kitchen to rear of garage for utility. Total cost £2500 labour materials. This should be less than half that unless we have a bargain price . Biulding fees will be £60 for steel beam.

We're having a garage conversion and also doing same (knocking wall to open up kitchen to rear of garage for utility. Total cost £2500 labour materials. This should be less than half that unless we have a bargain price . Biulding fees will be £60 for steel beam.
Eh?

Sponsored Links
+1 to noseall's estimate, Adam appears to be doing a different job and frankly if someone quoted me 2500 notes to extend my kitchen into my garage I'd know he was taking me for a bait n switch ride. Probably couldn't even buy and fit the necessary insulation for that to pass building regs, let alone make good the mess

No insulation needed as we have a double leaf wall. No work needed in kitchen just plastering wall edges. Most work will be garage plasterboard skimming etc.
He will use steam beams on wall which is coming out.
The price is £2500 incl materials and he will do garage wall below window.

No insulation needed as we have a double leaf wall.
How do you know there is insulation in the cavity? What size is the cavity? What about the floor? What about the roof?
Most work will be garage plasterboard skimming etc.
He will use steam beams on wall which is coming out.
What is he skimming - the blockwork? Who is disposing of the spoil? Who is buying the window? Foundation concrete? Garage door brick up, i.e brickwork, blockwork, cavity insulation, ties, dpc, window board etc?

Sounds like a bodge or bullshoite to me.

Even if it's had cwi I would have thought BC would want you to add a bit more.
You have got your LBC involved yes?

But maybe like you've said you've got a bargain price, maybe your builder is just starting off and wants some work in.

But maybe like you've said you've got a bargain price, maybe your builder is just starting off and wants some work in.
Or maybe he's just paying someone to paint the walls in his garage.(y)

Yes a building notice will go in next week(£220=160+60(beam)
Basically I know it sounds cheap but the builder has done next door and charged £4500 for conversion. We have seen the work and it's good quality. Our is less work than theirs as they had extra windows installed. We are having garage door to be replaced with window and wall built with new foundation. This will be Yorkshire stone with double cavity and insulation with blocks on inside.
We have to pay for window only. The room be split into bedroom and rear of garage a utility which joins onto kitchen. The walls are already cavity and we do not have cold issues in the house. So no insulation will be required on walls. The walls will be plasterboarded and skimmed with plaster. The ceiling is getting skimmed as well.We will also create a stud wall and doorway for access from utility into bedroom. The rear door into garage will also be raised. The floor will be concreted to raise it and dpc placed on it. Dpc will also be used in wall. The boxing of water/gas/electric is our material cost. All labour is included.
I know this sounds cheap but I've seen the work done next door when he did it and it was ok.
We will see building control on day he starts work to see if it's within regs.

So you are not adding any insulation in the floor or any additional in the ceilings or walls? Unfortunately unless your bco does not give a toss they will not accept that build up.
What about plumbing and electrics?
Where are you based?
Anyway, I hope it all goes ok for you.

Last edited:
So you are not adding any insulation in the floor or any additional in the ceilings or walls? Unfortunately unless your bco does not give a toss they will not accept that build up.
What about plumbing and electrics?
Where are you based?
Anyway, I hope it all goes ok for you.
Plumbing is being moved for washing machine but garage already has plumbing and electrics installed.
The walls &ceilings are not being insulated just plasterboarded.
Based in Yorkshire.

The flooring will be raised and either carpet tiles or padding with carpet installed. Heating will be with a new installed radiator(my cost). Foundation wall fully insulated. Will speak to him about insulating walls as was told by a few builders this was not needed as the walls are same as rest of house. Due to them being stone cavity wall insulation installers won't touch our house. They will gladly do loft and have done that a few years ago.

We were all fooled into thinking you were doing this legit, i.e. Building Regulations.
That's the builders problem
I told him inspector will be coming and he needs to do it to spec .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back