Rough costing

That's the builders problem
I told him inspector will be coming and he needs to do it to spec .
I think you will find it will be your problem. It is the homeowners responsibility to adhere to Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links
I think you will find it will be your problem. It is the homeowners responsibility to adhere to Building Regulations.
True but the cost is based on him doing it to legit spec. If the inspector says it must be done so and so then so be it. I would prefer he do it to spec and if it means I pay him a little extra if he thinks it not gonna be worth it then I may do.

True but the cost is based on him doing it to legit spec.
What does it say in your drawings, particularly the Building Regulations specifications bit?

I would prefer he do it to spec .
He does have a designers spec' then?

and if it means I pay him a little extra if he thinks it not gonna be worth it then I may do.
So the first bit about doing the whole job for £5k was just a ruse. Gotcha.(y)

What does it say in your drawings, particularly the Building Regulations specifications bit?

He does have a designers spec' then?

So the first bit about doing the whole job for £5k was just a ruse. Gotcha.(y)
What do you mean he hasn't started it yet.
I've agreed the price but I'm now concerned that he may not do it to spec at that price. I need to put it in writing about the garage conversion if there is any dispute.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean he hasn't started it yet.
What has that got to do with pricing?

I've agreed the price .
Based on what, exactly?

I need to put it in writing about the garage conversion if there is any dispute.
Eh, WTF? You either have a drawing or a designers spec' or you don't. Which is it? A builder can not be responsible if you have no plan, drawing or specification. Builders do not design, they follow drawings.

What has that got to do with pricing?

Based on what, exactly?

Eh, WTF? You either have a drawing or a designers spec' or you don't. Which is it? A builder can not be responsible if you have no plan, drawing or specification. Builders do not design, they follow drawings.
I'm no architect. I invited a builder to price a garage conversion. I told him exactly what I wanted doing. Where the stud wall needs to be and window and size. He told me what he is going to do and and the price . We shook hands and that's it. No fancy drawings. I specified materials for wall as it's already stone built house at the front. Simple but I just need to do it writing and both parties sign.

I'm no architect. I invited a builder to price a garage conversion. I told him exactly what I wanted doing. Where the stud wall needs to be and window and size. He told me what he is going to do and and the price . We shook hands and that's it. No fancy drawings. I specified materials for wall as it's already stone built house at the front. Simple but I just need to do it writing and both parties sign.
Bad luck on your part if you need it signing off. That £5k will need a wee bit of backing up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back