Rough handling with gearstick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for asking a daft question here., ive just bought a second hand mk4 polo, which I desperately need for work, noticed just needs a light touch to change gear.
I let my mum have a try, and was just about to tell her the gears are easy to select when she grabbed the stick and rammed it downwards then into reverse :eek:(

Are gear selectors easily damaged and if so are they easy to fix? Ive put in **** loads of effort trying to find a car and juggling work etc.. Just for this to happen

She just did it the once and is more careful now and gears feel the same but is any potential damsge done?

Sponsored Links
I really wouldn't worry, gearboxes are pretty tough but it's not recommended to crash them too often! Hire cars and driving instructors wheels get worse treatment.
Keeping a hand on the gear lever can wear the selectors and crunching gears gives the synchromesh hell. Changing the gearbox oil does give benefits if you want.
John :)

Thank john, Breathing a sigh of relief here. Id be up **** creek as ive spent hit the piggy bank hard and no car equals no job, "gulp" .. Ta for the tips, and Thanks again john :)

Sponsored Links
She slammed it into reverse while moving? This is the sort of thing you can worry about forever or put to the back of your mind. There's probably a magnet in the gearbox to catch any metal particles.

Back