1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Rough handling with gearstick

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by northernchappy, 29 Jul 2018.

1. northernchappy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Apologies for asking a daft question here., ive just bought a second hand mk4 polo, which I desperately need for work, noticed just needs a light touch to change gear.
    I let my mum have a try, and was just about to tell her the gears are easy to select when she grabbed the stick and rammed it downwards then into reverse :eek:(

Are gear selectors easily damaged and if so are they easy to fix? Ive put in **** loads of effort trying to find a car and juggling work etc.. Just for this to happen

She just did it the once and is more careful now and gears feel the same but is any potential damsge done?

2. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I really wouldn't worry, gearboxes are pretty tough but it's not recommended to crash them too often! Hire cars and driving instructors wheels get worse treatment.
    Keeping a hand on the gear lever can wear the selectors and crunching gears gives the synchromesh hell. Changing the gearbox oil does give benefits if you want.
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. northernchappy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank john, Breathing a sigh of relief here. Id be up **** creek as ive spent hit the piggy bank hard and no car equals no job, "gulp" .. Ta for the tips, and Thanks again john :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Best of luck with it mate - ask mum not to ride the clutch pedal, if she's prone to it!
    John :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    She slammed it into reverse while moving? This is the sort of thing you can worry about forever or put to the back of your mind. There's probably a magnet in the gearbox to catch any metal particles.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. northernchappy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No not while moving. Hope that never occurs

7. DaveHerns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I reckon you'll be OK.