Rough idea on money for work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I’ve ripped the ceiling out through out my house during the renovation works, I’m not starting to put the ceilings back up.

I’m looking to have them plastered and need an idea of the soft of money I’m going to be talking about.

I’m currently looking for the whole house

Bedroom 1 = 14*12
Bedroom 2 = 9 * 10
Bedroom 3 = 9 * 7
Bathroom = 6 * 5
1st level hall way. Not sure on size
Kitchen = 16* 9
Lounge = 12*12
Currently, the ceilings are staying up In the dinning room.

The trouble being, I’m not sure if I can afford to have it all done in one go, so it maybe a case of 1 - 2 ceilings a month sorta thing.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate?

I have no problems in bumping the bags into the relevant materials ready for the plasterer to work.

CoXen

Sponsored Links
your best bet would to get some quotes of local plasterers, get 3 or 4 quotes that will give you a good idea of the price expected, also get references of work they have done.

Thanks for that. I'm in the process of trying to find some.

I was just trying to get a ball park figure.

coXen

In addition to the above, ask them to work it out for you in visits, so that it is more economical . This will vary a bit depending on whether one man band or 2 &1 gang, and is important if not gettting the whole lot done in one go,

In other words, don't have someone coming for a full day to pick up a bathroom ceiling when they could have got it with the hall.

Sponsored Links
Try and pay them day rate? or Ask them to price each room indervidually?

Much appreciated

coXen

A day rate can be more of an advantage to the tradesman,,,, i'd go for a price per room deal,,, labour/materials inclusive, plus as PBOD said, know the quality of your potential plasterer through references.

Try and pay them day rate? or Ask them to price each room indervidually?

Much appreciated

coXen

No, not a day rate. I mean if you have to do it in stages, then make sure you get the best value for money in each stage. If the spread comes and there is only a half a day's work ready, he will charge you a full day's money. It is just as quick to skim two five mtere ceiling as one, and likewise just as slow to plaster one metre as five.

In other words, don't have him coming for a load of half days that cost you a full day each.

I don't know if I am explaining this properly!

The way I'm taking it, have at least a days work ready at a time,

I'm actually going to try and have the whole of upstairs ready so he can do the house in two halves.

CoXen

The way I'm taking it, have at least a days work ready at a time,

I'm actually going to try and have the whole of upstairs ready so he can do the house in two halves.

CoXen

If you can, that will be good, -less set up ,& clean up time for the spread.

well, had my first quote. he said 1 day for the 3 bedrooms, the hall and the bathroom ceiling. That's him and his labourer, sounds pretty fast to me lol.

well, had my first quote. he said 1 day for the 3 bedrooms, the hall and the bathroom ceiling. That's him and his labourer, sounds pretty fast to me lol.

That's good, if you know exactly what he will do while he is there.

Make sure you agree on what you need to do to prepare.

Don't worry about the speed if the quality and price are good.

All the ceilings are freshly plasterboarded, I can't think of anything to prepare other than ensuring there is a place to work. It doesnt matter if the walls & floor get plaster down them as they are still in their rough stage.

CoXen

All the ceilings are freshly plasterboarded, I can't think of anything to prepare other than ensuring there is a place to work. It doesnt matter if the walls & floor get plaster down them as they are still in their rough stage.

CoXen

Sounds like the perfect client!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind the time - what`s the price and where ( roughly) in Sussex ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back