Rough Idle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what is at the moment just an irritating problem of a rough idle. Not an unstable idle (rpm's sit perfectly at 900), it makes the whole car vibrate whilst stationary and sounds rough. Now I intend to take it to a garage to be fixed (unless it's simple like the air filter) but I don't like just turning up at the garage with big tear filled puppy dog eyes saying "It's broken!". So what would be my first, second and third port of DIY call?

Thanks for any advice.

Vehicle in question:
Renault
Laguna (Dynamique)
1,870 cc/1.9 dCi F9Q-T750
Second half 2003 (53 Plate)
~80,000 miles

Sponsored Links
A bit of a clunker, the F9Q but quite a nice but noisy engine for all that.
Look for damaged engine mounts (especially the one on the bottom of the gearbox to chassis) and an exhaust system that's touching the body work somewhere.
John :D

A bit of a clunker, the F9Q but quite a nice but noisy engine for all that.
Look for damaged engine mounts (especially the one on the bottom of the gearbox to chassis) and an exhaust system that's touching the body work somewhere.
John :D

Until recently it's been a very quite engine. I will check the engine mounts when I get the chance but that sounds more major than I expected. It only happens whilst idling, if I give it a little more throtle (1000 rpm) the vibration reduces a lot. Saying that though it would explain why it also gets better or worse depending on the angle that the car is sititing.

You might just have made a very good diagnosis. Thanks. How fixable is it?

Sponsored Links
I would second John, check the engine mounts also make sure the exhaust isn't touching the body anywhere.

Peter

There's no real issue on inspecting or changing the engine mounts, but the car does need to be up on a ramp to see things properly.
I'm sure an independant garage will check things out for you!
John :)

Back