Roughcasting bricked up doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
What would be the process for patching up the roughcast on this newly bricked up doorway?
Is it something a roughcast novice could try? I do a bit of diy, but never tried this so a little clueless.

What would I need to buy and what would be the step-by-step process?

It’s round the side of the house so doesn’t need to be absolutely perfect. That said I obviously want it to look alright, so please let me know if that outcome is unlikely for a first attempt!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2519704833.jpg
    iOS Image - 2519704833.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 247
Sponsored Links
Really hoping someone can be kind enough to help me out with some comments. Thanks

To be honest Richhen, even though it's round the side of the house, it''s still not a job for a first timer. Give it a go by all means, but even a pro would not get it to match perfecyly.
Anyway, first of all, you'll need to scratch coat it using a 4 to 1 mix (4 of "plastering sand/ 1 of cement). This should be mixed together, preferably in a cement mixer, but it can be mixed by hand. You will also need some waterproofer/plasticiser, added to the water, and this MUST be used as instructed on the container. When you''ve got the batch mixed up. give the area of wall a dampen down, then put a coat onto the wall, bringing it out to around half the thickness required. When the area has been covered, scratch it with a scratcher, or something similar, to provide a key for the top coat.
You'll also need to check first to see if there was a bellcast bead either side of the old door opening. If there was, you'll need to add a piece of Bellcast to run on line with the existing.
As you can see, although this is not a big job, it's also not a job for a beginner. See how that sinks in Richhen, and i'll come back with details for the top coat of roughcast.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Roughcaster, that’s mighty good info.
From what you describe it doesn’t seem too tough if you have the materials you mention .
Why do I need a piece of bellcast and what should I do with this - all around the perimeter of doorway, screwed to blockwork or bedded into undercoat?
If you could also give me the info for the top coat that would be really helpful and would confirm whether I try this full job myself or leave to the professionals .
I’m also waying up the pros and cons of re-roughcast vs timber cladding on an adjoining wall (see photo). I’m edging towards cladding and fully accept this level of roughcasting is beyond me.
Any experience with cladding something like this? Do I need to do something to the exposed brick above the bifolds or can I go straight ahead and just put up batons and cladding?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back