Roughcasting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..I just had some patchy areas of my wall roughcasted, problem is the 'roughcaster' didnt wash the pebbles before putting them on the wall. The colour doesn't match when dry, but when its wet or it rains it matches the rest of the house perfectly..how can i fix this so that its looks right when its dry. ive considered jet washing, but im worried il remove the chips off the wall. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
It's more or less impossible to get an exact match of colour between old and new roughcast. Even if the roughcaster had washed the chips before he put them on the wall,, chances are, the difference in colour (most probably due to the mortar mix), would have still been noticeable. You were right "not" to use a jet/power washer on the roughcast, as that would have damaged the finish. Even though the colour of the old and new roughcast together, looks "perfect" when the wall is wet,, the true colour of the roughcast is when the wall is dry. The only way to get an exact colour match overall, is to do the "whole job",, using the same measured mix, and the same coloured chips.

Roughcaster.

It's more or less impossible to get an exact match of colour between old and new roughcast. Even if the roughcaster had washed the chips before he put them on the wall,, chances are, the difference in colour (most probably due to the mortar mix), would have still been noticeable. You were right "not" to use a jet/power washer on the roughcast, as that would have damaged the finish. Even though the colour of the old and new roughcast together, looks "perfect" when the wall is wet,, the true colour of the roughcast is when the wall is dry. The only way to get an exact colour match overall, is to do the "whole job",, using the same measured mix, and the same coloured chips.

Roughcaster.

Sound advice as usual. You need the same mix and the same hand !

Sponsored Links
I patched up an area on a house with pebble dash about 6 years ago, and it stuck out like a sore thumb, but now after those years of driving rain and our harsh winters it is now starting to "blend in and you can only see the repair if you look closely at it.. So there is hope in time.. ;) I could'nt get the right size pebbles to match, then while I was on another job the customers drive way was the same pebbles that I needed and they let me take a couple of buckets for the "Patch". Sorted...... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back