Round Barrel Top Corrugated Barn Ultimate Garage

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
What I currently have: Coach house in Ireland built prior to 1800 with a stone shed with flat slightly single pitched corrugated roof and a large round top/barrel roof corrugated hay barn.

What I will be doing: I will be converting the corrugated haybarn 160M² into a custom garage for my classic American trucks. I will also be bleeding out my retirement funds on this.

The current plan in my head: Erect a new barrel roof corrugated haybarn in keeping with the character of the property as a whole. The new barn will need top to bottom insulation as well as wind and vapor barriers. I'll have 100-150mm insulation under the foundation slab as well as the DPM. I intend to build stud walls with a wind/water barrier membrane and probably 100mm insulation boards. The roof has been my main issue. The round roof presents considerable challenges but a pitched roof is absolutely not an option. So, I have to overcome these issues. I'm thinking the new metal trusses in a round barn are designed to support three 'ridge' beams. If I add a couple more beams and few more metal trusses that should provide support for a grid of 4ft x 8ft OSB roofing sheets. I figured I could then add 100mm rigid board insulation sliced to allow creating a curve. On top of this I would put an EPDM liner to catch the condensation with the corrugated sheets on top of that.

What I'd like input on: What wisdom do you have considering my idea? Would it be easier or comparable in price to just have the whole barn roof spray foamed? Any better ideas? Any flaws in my thought process? I'm not a professional but I have a number of large DIY jobs under my belt including building my own timber frame 45M² garage in California from foundation to roofing, wiring and plumbing.
IMG_8684.JPG IMG_9009.JPG

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back