Rounding coombed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished plasterboarding an upstairs extension, unfortunately the new roof trusses are slightly out on the 45 degree angle. This leaves a dip on the coomb between the extension and the original part. I think the only way to make this less noticeable is to round that angle. What would be the best way to do this and which filler should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can you show us a picture, bit more of an idea of what you doing and someone might come up with a better way.

Here is one which may give you an idea of the problem.
127000_126020_59828_22832582_thumb.jpg

I can take a better one if that's not good enough.

Sponsored Links
I don't know the word coomb. What is it?

It's Scottish.

A coomb(e) ceiling is one that slopes at an angle between a vertical room wall and the horizontal ceiling above.

L_48f2ae295dc24bc7ac246b8f623c89aa_iList.jpg

The slopey bit above the dressing-table is the coomb.

It's really no different in plastering terms from two bits of wall that don't quite line up after you've knocked two rooms into one.

I can stop scratching my head now. Can it not just be skimmed, perhaps with a bit of bonding over the area that needs levelling out? Apart from that several coats of easifill feathered right out.

Yes it is two different levels. My thought is that if the angle is rounded then it won't be as noticeable.

Was you planning on getting it skimmed? If so then that will sort it. Other way would be to pack out the back of the plaster board to bring it flush.

No I wasn't planning on getting it skimmed, just taped and finished. I thought by doing this myself beforehand it would save time when I get someone in to do it.

Just pack out behind the board then. I know it means unscrewing it but it will give a better finish.

That would leave me with about a 35mm gap at the bottom though. I would also have to do it at the other side of the room so a total of a 9 metre run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back