router or jigsaw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to attempt to install worktops and have seen various tips but they do not consistently suggest which is best to do the job - router or jigsaw. As I am going to buy the beast I would rather buy the right one!

Many thanks in advance for suggestions.

I am a bit of a have a go gal and do not expect to cock it up but am still shakin in me boots! :rolleyes: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Jig saws are fine for scribing to walls, doing cut-outs and rough cutting, but they won't do a mason's mitre joint or trim the end of a worktop smooth, no matter what kind of blade you have. To do mason's mitre joints you need a 1/2in collet router (i.e. 1500 watts/2 HP or more) with a good quality 1/2in diameter x 50mm high TCT cutter, a 30mm guide bush and a mason's mitre jig. That set-up is also useful for routing the worktop ends, especially if you don't want a flat right angle end. In an ideal world you actually need both.

One point about doing worktops - get a second person to help you - 4 metres of 38mm thicjk worktop is a tad heavy!

Scrit

Scrit,
Cheers for the reply.
If I get a router can I use it to cut out for a sink, doing shallow cuts at a time?
I can always borrow a jigsaw.
Ta

Sponsored Links
The router will do the sink in shallow passes, but were I you I'd try to borrow the jigsaw and buy some down-cut blades if you can get them for the cut-outs. Drill holes at the four corners of the cut-out then "join-up the dots" so to speak using the jig saw. The jigger will make a lot less mess than the router (fine dust) and the downcut blades give you an acceptable quality of cut, although not as good as the router.

A tip about the router - if you do make mason's mitre joints use only a brand new cutter and take the cut in stages.

Lastly if you are concerned about scratching your worktops cover the cutting area (where the jigger or router runs) with 2in masking tape while you make the cut.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back