Router smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask what is the cause of the wood smoking when using a router.
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Blunt cutter
Too slow feed speed
Wrong rpm
trying use a non plunge cutter for bottom cutting

deep cuts need several passes around half the shank in depth
say 44mm deep with a say half inch router would be around 6mm passes so 7 passes at 6.5mm or at a push 6 at 7.5mm deep
experiance will let you know iff 5 passes off 9mm are daft:whistle:

Sponsored Links
Blunt cutter
Too slow feed speed
Wrong rpm
trying use a non plunge cutter for bottom cutting
Thanks for the reply
Is there anyway to tell if the cutter is blunt, I've hardly used it but have had it fir a while, I assumed(wrongly obviously) that feeding too fast would cause the smoking, the router only had one speed, I'm not plunging with it.

It's also worth cleaning your cutter. This is a bearing guided cutter which has been used - it isn't smoking, but you can see signs of resin (from the MDF) build-up on the cutter which is making it blunter and more likely to smoke:

Router Cutter - Dirty.jpg

A scorched blade will be dark brown to black and may be beyond redemption, however. Even a basic quick partial clean with squirt of WD40 and a quick scrub up with an old tooth brush cleans it up enough to get another few cuts done before it needs to be thoroughly cleaned:

Router Cutter - Cleaner.jpg

Is there anyway to tell if the cutter is blunt
The cutter should be sharp enough to be able to scrape some of your thumb nail away easily. The carbide faces shoud be clean.

Ciould you describe the cut you are doing (style of cutter - e.g straight or profiled, depth, width, material being cut, cuter material type - HSS or TCT) together with the router (watts) so that someone could give you better advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply
Is there anyway to tell if the cutter is blunt, I've hardly used it but have had it fir a while, I assumed(wrongly obviously) that feeding too fast would cause the smoking, the router only had one speed, I'm not plunging with it.

If you feed too slowly the cutter spends too long in contact with the wood that is eventually "burning", hence the resin build up.

I must admit that I often suffer from pushing tools too slowly. In my case it is a lack of experience.

Is the OP actually talking about the cutter smoking or the router itself?
He hasn't made it clear. My original thought was the machine was smoking.

"Can I ask what is the cause of the wood smoking"
Suggests wood to cutter interaction to me rather than machine ??(y)

"Can I ask what is the cause of the wood smoking"
Suggests wood to cutter interaction to me rather than machine ??(y)

My bad, (as the youngsters say), the title said Router smoking. I obviously misread the actual question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back