Routers

It does look like you're going to have to pay the rip off prices or use a jointing strip which says council house.
You can't cut a masons mitre with a hand saw.
If you went for a square edged worktop you could butt joint it.

Sponsored Links
i cut mine by hand as i do not have a jig,the only thing missing is the curve,i use biscuits and gorilla glue and the things do not move.
but it can be done and afaik it is still called a masons mitre,like the ones used on different width window boards where they have to join together.

could be a free holiday here chaps for any one who wants to go and do the job for them :LOL:

Hi gregor, do you cut a 45 through the postformed edge?

yep by hand,using my combination square,sharp saw and a good eye ;)
then using my biscuit jointer cut 4 or 5 grooves.poly glue and color fil and hey presto jobs a gooden.

i done this on my own kitchen,it was being fitted by others(ha house)AND THERE WAS NO WAY WAS I HAVING A METAL STRIP.
alot of council/ha use 30mm worktops,so installing the brakets wouldve been a bit iffy anyway i think???

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your input, I have decided to get a "man" in to fit it... just got to find one that wants to do the job as most of them here feel that it not worth their time to come and fit it!!

cut the 45 approx 25-30 mm into the worktop
then keep it parallel along the length,tried to plot an example
on here but everytime it posted it wrong :confused:

tigger cannot believe that your having trouble finding a decent tradesman to do this for you,
are they all that busy where you live then,do they not realize that even if its in there eyes a relative small job,sometimes it could lead to other jobs in the future,especially if they do a perfect job?
ive done quite a few worktop jobs where the customer has fitted there own kitchen but cannot do the tops.as far as im concerned a job is a job.

chippie
like most things its knowing your limitations and having the confidence in doing the job in hand ive probably done over 100 in my time if not more,if i could work out how to post pics i might take a piccy of my 1 at home and post it up. :confused: ;)

If you're doing that many why not buy a jig and do it the normal way, they aren't that expensive now. I'm not having a having a go but the first worktop I did paid for the jig.
To upload pictures just click on the "Upload Pictures" button above

Does anyone know any carpenters in Guernsey?? The only one that came round to price wanted £300+ as it was a 2 man job all day? I only want/need 2 joints cutting!

Does anyone know any carpenters in Guernsey?? The only one that came round to price wanted £300+ as it was a 2 man job all day? I only want/need 2 joints cutting!

bloody hell how much,
certainly isnt a 2 man day job,hells bells.

chippie
as im not self employed i dont see why i should purchase yet another tool for the benefit of my workplace.i dont need a router ive already got 4 :D
but yep all in all spose your right,just got into the habit of doing it frank Sinatra................my way ;)

If it works for you and everybody is happy then why change it.
As I think I said earlier in the SE it's about £60 per joint.

yeah thats about right chip,whats the going rate in your neck of the woods?

Just out of interest, how many hours do you think it would take to cut worktop 1 down to 2.9 m from 4 m . Work top 2 cut in 2 pieces to 1.5 and 1.2. Then 2 joints to fix the 3 pieces into a U shape??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back