Worktop tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at what tools I will need for joining my kitchen worktops. I am going to hire the jig for a weekend but the hire shop also do a hire package which includes the router. This is a 1/4" router but all the instructions for joining worktops I have read say you should use a 1/2" router. Is this essential or can you get away with the smaller shank cutters?
Also, will the trigger action type quick clamps hold the jig firmly enough for routing or should I use proper 'G' clamps ideally?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

Ideally a 1/2" router and straight/2 fluted blade I would have said. Strange thay they should hire a 1/4" out as part of the package ? I wouldn't have thought it'd be 'meaty' enough for the job to be honest. Trigger action quick clamps would be O.K. I reckon.

In addition I'd probably pack the following :

Jigsaw (in case you have to scribe the back of the worktop to wall, and for your sink / hob cutouts)
Circular saw (more accurate for cutting straight sections)
Combination Square (for checking your worktop overhang, etc.)
2 Saw Horses
res)
Masking Tape 50mm wide
Silicone Sealant of a best match colour
10mm spanner (for worktop bolts)
Worktop bolts
File (for filing laminate edging flush)
Varnish or PVA Adhesive (for sink/hob cut-outs)
Pencil (for writing fings wiv !)
Compass (for scribing if necessary)
Tin of contact adhesive (for gluing laminate edging if ness.)

I'm sure others will suggest things I might've missed....

......and a biscuit jointer and biscuits.....is useful to keep the joining worktops laterally (and literally !) flush (from a horizontal perspective). Biscuits prevent them from twisting.

.....You can join your tops without, but will have to be very careful & thorough in keeping them from twisting when bolting them up.

.....Should you decide to use biscuits, you may get a biscuit slot cutter as part of your package, in which case you won't need the biccy jointer !!!

.....I'll get me coat now.....first day off I've had in a while.....shouldn't be fiddlin' around on 'ere confusing people !!! :LOL:

Thanks for the tips guys. I am going to wait until my kitchen arrives in a couple of weeks before I compile a proper list as I believe things such as worktop bolts, sealant, edging strip etc are supplied. I am also going to borrow a 1/2" router. From which side of the worktop should I make the sink cut out? Also, how many buscuits for the worktop end?

Sponsored Links
mr_mike said:
Circular saw (more accurate for cutting straight sections)
Make sure you get a fine tooth blade, preferably an ATB (alternate top bevel) with a few more teeth than the standard supplied rip blade

mr_mike said:
Varnish or PVA Adhesive (for sink/hob cut-outs)
PVA needs to be exterior (cross-linking) grade - the interior stuff like Evostick green will redissolve in contact with water. I tend to use a thin spraed of silicone instead which saves me carrying PVA

I agree with the comments about 1/2in routers - in any case it's difficult to get the 50mm long x 1/2in diameter cutters you need to do a worktop in 1/4 in shank. Make sure the cutters you use are new and only let each cutter do 4 faces (2 joints) and no more - that way you'll avoid chipping out the edges

Add to that lot:

Mastic/sealant gun (for the silicone)
Disposable gloves (for handling silicone and anything to do with drains, especially in warm weather)
Cordless drill/driver with Pozidrive bits (for fixing the tops to the stretchers at the top of the carcasses) and add a decent size (say 1/2in or 5/8in) to drill starter holes for the cut-outs)
Builder's level and torpedo level (to check that your carcasses and tops are all level - not nive to have a worktip where spills run downhill into the corner or to the back iof the top behind the sink)
And thin paper/card/plastic/laminate for levelling shims.........

davecooper said:
From which side of the worktop should I make the sink cut out? Also, how many biscuits for the worktop end?
If you are using a downcut blade on yopur jigger, make the cut from the top with the orbit switched off. A couple of biscuits should hold the worktop ends, after all the biscuits are really only there to help you locate the tops.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back