router templates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lost my instruction book, and can't remember how to create a template.

I want to rout out a recess in a butcher block, into which I can drop a smaller plastic chopping board. The plastic board has rounded corners.

Which bits do I use in order to: 1. follow the outline of the small board to cut a template out of ply, then 2. use the ply template to rout the exact shape of the plastic board into the butcher block. Thanks

Sponsored Links
errrrrrrrm, bet you have done it by now.
What i would do is measure the distance from the edge of my template guide to the edge of the bit, giving me the size of cut.
Draw round the insert onto a piece of ply and using the measermeant obtained earlier, draw a line inside the first one, just like marking out a sink, if your cut is 5 mm then come in 5mm and re mark out.
cut round this line with a jigsaw and smooth the edges. this should give you an accurate jig.
i would use a straight bit to cut the outline and probably for clearing the rebate too. clamp a thin board diagonally over the outline and work my way across.
have fun if you havent already

deepred said:
errrrrrrrm, bet you have done it by now.

you wont get a reply, as you seem to have realised the post was made at the end of 2003, but you should also note they have only made 1 post.

May i suggest that you leave old posts alone, this is because:

person only made that one post

it can be confusing for others (but your help is apreciated i am sure)

you have just wasted your time

Actually, he will get a reply, albeit a little on the late side. Some of us only ask once, then wait patiently.

Far from wasting time, very helpful, thank you. :D

I understand that this kind of forum can become annoyingly confusing to regular contributors, but I don't think it's helpful to advise someone not to answer a question that has remained unanswered for a long time. Surely that is the best reason for answering it. :confused:

Sponsored Links
you are not dead then?

oh dear who's funeral did i attend then?

actually you now hold the record, almost a year before you reply, not bad, see you next year then.

Wrong again. :rolleyes:

I replied after 3 months, not a year and, without your comments, the thread may be helpful to others who are interested in DIY, no matter the time frame.

On the other hand, you're probably the only person interested in reading your unhelpful and innaccurate criticisms.

Do you have anything constructive to offer on this subject?

tyger said:
Wrong again. :rolleyes:

I replied after 3 months, not a year

er ...no
origonal post (by yourself) Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 14:05

next post by yourself

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 19:12

in my book that is almost a year between your first post and your 2nd post

which therfor makes your comment of
tyger said:
On the other hand, you're probably the only person interested in reading your unhelpful and innaccurate criticisms.
totally inacurate, since it is YOU that does not read what is written, not I

have a nice Christmas and enjoy

OK, enough already...

I posted a question on Dec 29th 2003
Deepred posted a reply on Sep 25th 2004
You posted a criticism of his reply on Sep 25th 2004
I posted a reply to that on Dec 8th explaining that I'd found his reply helpful.
You posted your sarcastic reply on Dec 9th...

I repeat, do you have anything useful to add to the subject which is about router templates?

hhheeelllooo tyger and breezer

you both have valid points you obviously see each others point slightly differently to what it was meant hence the slight entreanchment of oppinions :LOL: :LOL: i think you should kiss and make up :mad: :cry:
ooo ok just respect each others point of veiw[both valid] ;)

This is a public forum (pretty much) so if someone sees an old unanswered post to which they can add some input they should be free to do so without vilification, it should be applauded that someone is taking time to respond not criticized. After all it is there for everyone's benefit now.
I think people should consider whether their own posts give a balanced impression or not!
I visit a few forums and this seems to be the rudest, shame.

sorry ill wind youve found the experience a bit negative we all have off days breezer is a stalwart of the forum he often finds himself sounding like a record he doesnt want to i am sure but his position in life requires some repitition which involves some less than personal replys :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

your template situation is as follows :LOL:
ok it depends on your guide bush the top hat shaped bit that screws into the base plate of your router the distance between the cutting edge [when you insert a cutter]and the guide ring is how much bigger your template must be over the size of the finnished piece so basicly the template must be about 6mm bigger than finnished size dependant on the component sizes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

ill_wind said:
I visit a few forums and this seems to be the rudest, shame.
Well I must say I'm surprised you've said that. If it is the rudest then I wouldn't be here and I have been here long enough to know (sad I know :) ).
Occasionally Diynot do have a problem with a small percentage of member's on here but hopefully it's very rare and that's life in general. As with any forums the moderator is there to monitor it as whereas Screwfix for example, the moderator don't seems to deleted any abusive language & insults that goes on over there. E-build forums is another one which shock me with of some of the rude username is being used.
I hope you're wrong quoting Diynot forums being the rudest unless I've not seen some of the post you've seen and it is up to people like you & me to alert the moderator that makes the forum works.
Sometime forums member can't write what they are trying to say and sometime write in capitals which can appears to be rude or shouting when they don't really mean it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back