Routing cables around steels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of a loft conversion and for structural support I've had various steels added from one side of the property to the other. The thing is I have to run the downstairs lighting cables through this a wondered what my options are.

I can only go around the steels if i go outside the building and the steels are 6in thick I can't go under because the ceiling is too close but above there is a a 4*2 that I could go though this is resting on the steels but my cables will be less the 2in from the flooring.

Sponsored Links
Your options are pretty slim.......as you only have one!

As long as your cables are protected from any mechanical damage that is likely to happen I carnt see anything wrong with going over the top.

I carnt thing of anything in the IEE wiring regulations but maybe something is in the building regulations?

You can buy plates exactly for this purpose. I can't for the life of me remember what they are called (safe plate or something), I've got about 100 of them (I ordered 1 about 2 years ago and they supplied 1 box of 100 :rolleyes: , I only paid for one though and they've sat there ever since). I'll have a look later if you like and let you know the name. If you live anywhere near Horsham you're welcome to have some FOC, I'll never use them all. You just notch the top of the joist out and cover them with the plate. Or you you can use tried and tested standard besa-box lid as a cover ;)

Sponsored Links
They're made by Niglon and called safeplate, product code SP1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back