Routing Cat6 cable CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to install 2 cctv cameras, the camera will be fitted approx 2.4 - 2.6 metres in height, yellow circle.

The camera will face towards the driveway (yellow circle)
The second camera will be fitted at the rear garden

The cat6 cables need to be routed to the lounge which is at the rear of the property, this is where the second camera will be fixed for the garden

My plan is to drill an angle upwards, feed up electrical rods to the loft and then connect the cat6 cable and pull it down to the CCTV location which will then allow me to connect the cat6 lead to the cctv camera.

Is this achievable given that where i intend to route the cable as the roof is in two sections?, pics attached, double click to zoom for a close look :)

Had a quick look in the loft, I could not see how to access or get to that part of the roof.

Does anyone have any experience if this achievable given the way roof has been constructed?

Attachments

• IMG-20221217-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221217-WA0006.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-20221217-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20221217-WA0009.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Probably inaccessible eaves roof space above there, best to run cable in protective conduit to a more accessible space

Probably inaccessible eaves roof space above there, best to run cable in protective conduit to a more accessible space
I thought as much :(

A couple of other options I've thought of:

Option 1 run conduit from location of cctv camera into soffits and then push the cable through as far as I can into the loft using the rods and then to the desired location

or

Option 2 run the conduit from the location of cctc camera but run the wiring along the soffits using rods to the required location without going into the loft

Is either possible?

Make sure cable does not run along side power cables, if it need to cross at right angles will be ok.

Sponsored Links
The camera i'm intending to install are hikvision with the backbox

I will be using the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 backbox

To achieve a water tight connection from the conduit to the hikvision backbox, what fittings are required?

Will a drip loop be required if running horizontally? if so what fittings would i require? like this example below
1671400228986.png

I will be installing the cctv at a height of 2.4 to 2.6 metres horizontally using 20mm black conduit

I've done a crude drawing in paint which shows how I intend to install the cameras....

1671400330439.png

The other option I've thought of is to do away with the conduit and just use a junction box to allow for entry of the two cable to the NVR

Would welcome your thoughts

Last edited:
Forgoing the conduit will save time just clip the cable round if you use the back entry on the junction boxes you can use the mortar line to take the cable into it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back