Routing pipes behind kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to route a hot water pipe and cold water pipe along my kitchen wall and I have to then mount my base units to the same wall. I assume this is common practice, but can I pretty much route the pipes where I want or should I have them routed as close to the floor as possible? I'm just wondering about avoiding having the butcher my cabinets to make them fit once I've plumbed the pipes and appliances in. I'm also a little concerned about whether my appliances will stick out if I have pipes at the back but everyone must have them I guess?

Wouldn't it be great if there were such a thing as a decent DIY DVD which showed how to tackle such problems?

This site:

http://www.almostimpartialguide.co.uk/kitchens/diy_appliances.htm

...states that, "water and electrical services for both dishwashers and washing machines should terminate in an adjacent cupboard and waste services must be fitted behind an adjacent unit, within the void." and, "When positioning the appliance in readiness to connect, feed the water hoses and electrical flex behind the appropriate rear unit leg. This will allow access to the services when the appliance is in place and will also permit fitting before the furniture plinth is installed." but I'm not really sure if this is the right thing to do, even with regards to the electrical sockets. The sockets are currently positioned directly behind where the appliances are going to be...

Sponsored Links
If you look in the instrtuction for virtually any dishwasher or washing machine you will find words to the effect: 'turn off water supply when machine is not being used'. This is put in to absolve the manufacturer of any responsibility at all in the event of a leak. So ideally, the water supply valves should be easily within reach even when the machine is fully installed. This is why the advice to put them towards the front of the neighbouring cupbouring cupboard, etc. Of course, in reality no-one takes the slightest notice of either bit of advice...

If you are fitting Ikea units you will have no void at the back of the units. It is best to keep the pipework low down as there is usually a bit more room at the bottom of appliances.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back