Rover 25 Plug problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, advice please on the following. When changing the plugs, I came across the following:
1. Oil driping from one of the plugs when it was removed .. I guess I have a broken seal somewhere. Any ideas how to solve, cost if doen by garage, etc?? The engine does loose power periodically.... could this be why??
2. When pulling out one of the plug leads, the lead came out minus the rubber tubing which stayed firmly in the hole with the plug. I tried a long nosed pliers but was scared of ripping the rubber and causing an even bigger problem. So, I left the old plug in! Any ideas how I can remove??
All help appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Glyn1959 said:
Hi, advice please on the following. When changing the plugs, I came across the following:
1. Oil driping from one of the plugs when it was removed .. I guess I have a broken seal somewhere.
Could be lots of things: cracked piston, broken ring, worn bore, worn valve stem and/or oil seal, cracked head, bla bla bla.

Any ideas how to solve, cost if doen by garage, etc?? The engine does loose power periodically.... could this be why??
How to solve depends on which cause, of all the possible ones, you're experiencing.

2. When pulling out one of the plug leads, the lead came out minus the rubber tubing which stayed firmly in the hole with the plug. I tried a long nosed pliers but was scared of ripping the rubber and causing an even bigger problem. So, I left the old plug in! Any ideas how I can remove??
When you say tubing, are you referring to the insulation for one of the leads? Or the plug connector? Frankly, it's not worth s*dding around with this - scrap the entire lead and connector, remove the plug properly, and buy a new one of each.

the rubber insulator sounds like it has broke, oil on the tip of the plug could be ..................the dreaded head gasket

Very much more often than that it's a worn/broken ring, or worn valve guides and/or seals.

Sponsored Links
Back