Rover 75 04 plate 2.0L cdti diesel clutch bleed

• Thread starter richard Lionheart
  • Start date
R

richard Lionheart

Ive done a bit of googling about this. The bite on the clutch is at carpet level, which means it crunches changing into in reverse, even when stationary, because you literally cant press the clutch pedal down far enough to disengage it fully.

This is due, i conclude to lack of fluid in the hydraulic clutch master. If the clutch plate had gone, the clutch would slip even at the top of the travel, this is the opposite problem. According to the internet, the master cylinder is on top of the clutch pedal assembly,and there's a tiny reservoir on top of that. Its staggering hard to get at, and prolly cant hold more than 50cc. You can just work your hand in there to undo the screw on cap. Dipping a finger in reveals...dryness. The internet says you have to faff about filling this tiny reservoir with a syringe and tube, in between each press of the pedal.

I can see topping this up and bleeding it is going to be a major headache. SO, i have devised a cunning plan...

Ive made an 'extension reservoir'. I've inserted a brass pipe nipple into the reservoir cap, ditto another into an empty polypropylene bottle, and joined them with a length of yellow model makers fuel pipe.

UCUojK3.jpg

SO, the bottom reservoir is sealed,because ive found an O ring for the the cap that fits, and the top bottle can provide more capacity, the top of which is vented to air so the fluid level can fall. I can stick the big bottle in a more accessible place (eg the dashbaord top) wher i can see it, and bleed the system via the bleed nipple in the engine compartment with a self bleeding one way valve (the black bit at the bottom of pic). When done, i can tuck the bottle under the dash somewhere secure, still with fluid in, no messing about.

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan ?

Sponsored Links
No problem with your theory, sire!
In fact it's the same principle used by Gunsons pressure bleeder.
I would guess though, the diaphragm spring on your clutch pressure plate has become somewhat flattened with age.....This gives a heavy pedal with restricted pedal movement similar to yours. A brand new clutch puts things back to normal.
John :)

hmm, that could be bad news, ive heard £400-£800 to replace the clutch. Car has 106k on the clock, cost me £1000 with a years MOT, ive done £6k in it so far.

The next job I need to tackle is the handbrake, its nearly verticle when holding the car.

Sponsored Links
Back