Rowing machines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience on rowing machines? I'm looking to buy one to help me to continue to get fitter (I took up running and cycling last year) and in particular I'd like to build my upper body strength and tone up a bit (no desire to be a body builder!!). I've never been a gym member but i have used some gym equipment over the years and a rowing machine is the only thing i've ever used that i thought i'd like to use again, so seriously thinking about getting myself one.

So i'm looking for a bit of advice. Firstly, any makes/models i should go for, or, alternatively, that I should avoid? I don't want to spend too much (because I can't afford to), but also don't want to buy something that falls apart after two months or has barely any resistance and so is a waste of time using. I imagine i'll probably use it for 30-60mins, once or twice a week (eventually) and maybe the missus might take to it to - so potentially it could get used 4times a week on average. I've been told that air or magnetic resistance machines are the ones to go for - but not really sure of the relative pros and cons?? Also, one that folds would be really useful, as we don't have masses of space....

If anyone has any advice it'll be gratefully received! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
You'll want to get something with air resistance rather than magnetic resistance. But as for which makes etc I've no idea :D

Just curious, but why do you say air over magnetic? I've read today the air ones are quite noisey and the magnetic ones give very similar performance??

How do magnetic ones work? I've seen air (good) and hydraulic (crap).

Sponsored Links
A rowing machine is one of the best bits of all round, keep fit kit you can buy but get a decent fan (air) machine with a multiple reduction pulley, you won’t beat it. Friction belt & magnetic machines are total crap, the resistance is difficult to regulate & they tend to be all over the place. I don’t have any experience with hydraulic machines.

Cant help with specific manufacturers but there is usually a good selection of “up market” second hand fan machines on Ebay, just do some research. Far better than buying a new & totally crap piece of budget kit.
A folding machine = domestic market = crap ;)

At Uni, we used to use Concept 2 erg machines. They were really good, we had about 12 between 30 od off us. and they got used A Lot!! But they were really good for us. And the benefit of having air ones is that if you're in a small room, it gets the air circulating around the room. Very helpful if you've just completed a 5K test.

I think you can get some off of Ebay for about £800.

Back