RPP-How cheap is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

We've been using a 3Kw Fan Heater. It's being fed by a 2.5mm Rubber extension lead, I've found that the plug has melted it's self in the the socket. (It was a pain in the A** to get out) has any one had this problem? How cheap are these things?? They are the Clip-in Modules by RPP.

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I think they may be CEF ( city electrical factors) brand of sockets ( hopefully someone may know better)
I've never used them, I presume they're on the cheap side of accessories.
You could fit a better brand of socket, MK or Crabtree.
Although since Crabtree changed the terminals on their sockets they feel cheap and less robust.
Also check your termination of the socket as loose connections will generate heat, possibly resulting in melting.

What has occurred is often because of a loose connection either behind the socket, or in the plug.

It may not be the fault of the socket itself.

You will probably need to replace the socket and the plug to make a proper job of it.

HI,

They do appear to be. I have now it's got a metalclad CED socket on it. They appear to be nice and robust. Maybe a bit on the cheap side.

From what it looked like the fuse and holder may have had a lose connection as thats were most of the burning appears to have happened, Saying that the plug had melted in to the socket so a bit of both.

Sponsored Links
Which is why, bar prehaps 'tough' shatterproof plugs and flying sockets, i would always rather see a thermoplastic plug and socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back