Burnt Out 13-Amp Plug

Not in a totally enclosed space where the only route for heat to exit the space is by conduction along the Live pin into the metal of the socket's receptacle.
Really!
1 Watt on the metal pins of any plug is a fairly trivial amount of heat.

I wonder if you make it a practice (as I do) to check (feel) the temperature of both the Line and Neutral pins of any plug on a "high current" device, such as an Iron or Vacuum Cleaner, when withdrawing it immediately after use.
Any "heating" of such pins - especially differential heating - can be an early warning signal of a "loose connection".

Sponsored Links
1 Watt on the metal pins of any plug is a fairly trivial amount of heat.

that assumes a low thermal resistance from fuse to pin allowing the heat to be conducted to the pin. And of course if the thermal path is degraded then almost certainly the electrical path is compromised with voltage drops across weak connections ( such as the clips in fuse holders ) creating more heat.

Not in a totally enclosed space where the only route for heat to exit the space is by conduction along the Live pin into the metal of the socket's receptacle.
So did you a full range of tests in that scenario? IE:
Neutral to neutral terminal
Neutral terminal to neutral socket
Neutral socket to neutral plug
Neutral plug to neutral flex
And then the same again for the Line including the fuse junctions.

And establish the loss at each junction?

I have done it more than once as demonstrations/comparisons and the difference between BS546 and BS1363 socket to plug junction is significant.

It has more effect in ELV high current situations; I had a lead for 2 way radio use; crock clips to go on car battery, in-line 35A fuse (1⅛" in snap round plastic fitting - typical of car radio etc) in each leg, 2m of 2.5mm² Tri-rated, big choc bloc, several leads ~500mm including another fuse and a plug for each radio. On an event the radios started complaining of 'low volts' so I switched to a second battery. However taking the volt drop readings across each junction >1V total @12A for one radio soon made me realise which bits needed altering.

So did you a full range of tests in that scenario?

This time it was just the voltage between the fuse caps to get an idea of the heat produced by the fuse wire.

A full investigation of the heating in electrical plugs was carried out by GPO engineering department in the 1970's ( or maybe the 1960's ) and they concluded that 13 Amp plugs used on GPO premises should be de-rated to 8 Amps. Given that many premises were un-attended for weeks if not months the risk of a plug failing in service at 13 Amps was considered to be too high.

EDIT mis typing corrected

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it will, of course, warm the entire shell of the plug, including to some extent the cable and the other pins, because quite a lot of the heat will radiate from the fuse body, and some will pass out of the other cap.

if you put your finger on the shell of the plug, would you notice any temperature difference.

1W is not much

Last edited:
For what it is worth .... I measured the voltage difference between the caps of a 13 amp fuse when supplying a fan heater .... Estimating that a 3 kW load will take 12 amps and produce a Vd across the fuse of 0.102 Volt ( 3 times 0.034 ) ... 3 kW load--...--0.102 Volts x 12 Amp = 1.22 Watt ...
That's in a similar ballpark (albeit about double the answer) as theory ...

Per tables, 13A rated fuse wire is 27 SWG, which has a CSA of 0.1363 mm². A BS1362 fuse wire is about 26 mm long, and that translates to a resistance of 26 mm of 27 SWG copper wire of 0.003262 Ω. At 13A that would result in a power dissipation of 0.5513 W.

If I understand you correctly, ... "3 kW load--------0.102 Volts x 12 Amp = 1.22 Watt ... A fuse in good order can release about as much heat as a 1W lightbulb ... Which is trivial.
Really! 1 Watt on the metal pins of any plug is a fairly trivial amount of heat.
that assumes a low thermal resistance from fuse to pin allowing the heat to be conducted to the pin. And of course if the thermal path is degraded then almost certainly the electrical path is compromised with voltage drops across weak connections ( such as the clips in fuse holders ) creating more heat.
As bernard has said, whether 1 W (or even 0.55W) is "trivial" (in terms of temperature rise) is totally dependent upon the opportunities for heat to be removed from its place of generation (i.e. the fuse wire). If heat cannot be removed at least as fast as it is being generated, the temp will continue rising 'indefinitely' (until it reaches the melting point of the fuse wire, at which point the heat generation will cease).

One sees that in the ('adiabatic') situation in which heat is generated so quickly that there is no time for it to be removed 'to anywhere'. A 13A-rated copper fuse wire has a fusing current of about 23A. If the resistance of the fuse wire is, above, 0.003262 Ω, the power dissipated at 23A will only be about 1.73 W, yet that results in the temp of the fuse wire rising from ambient temp to the melting point of copper (about 1,085 °C) in a fraction of a second.

Hence, the thermal implications of 1W (or 0.55W) being dissipated in a 13A fuse depend entirely upon how well heat can be removed - and that can really only be determined by experiment, in various different situations. Although one would hope that the temp rise of a plug would be fairly low with the 'trivial' amount of heat being generated by the fuse, one cannot be certain of that without 'doing the experiments'.

Kind Regards, John

which has a filament hot enough to glow white hot, but still just 1 Watt
Quite so - it all 'depends' (upon opportunities for loss of heat). As I just wrote:
... If the resistance of the fuse wire is, above, 0.003262 Ω, the power dissipated at 23A will only be about 1.73 W, yet that results in the temp of the fuse wire rising from ambient temp to the melting point of copper (about 1,085 °C) in a fraction of a second.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back