RSJ or Catnick etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive just found out that the wall I need to remove is a supporting wall( i.e there is just a floor above not a wall). the span I need to support is 12' what do I need to put in place RSJ or Catnick etc. I want to achieve the least amount of protrusion as possible.
Any advice would be great.

Rehards
Sacko

Sponsored Links
Are you leaving piers either end of the removed wall? what size is the wall? how wide is the opening? the floor above spans onto it from both sides?

Which direction do the upper floor joists run in? is the lower wall supporting either cut ends or centre span of the of the joists? 12 ft is a largish span & for structural support the usual method would be one or more I beams, size depending on the calculated loading but a fabricated lintel may suffice if the loadings arte not too great.

I would advise you get some advice before you start knocking anything down. You should also be aware that internal structural work requires approval & inspection by your local council building control dept. who will almost certainly want calculations supplied before you start.

The joist run in the oposite way the the wall. The wall is supporting cut ends.
What I dont understand is that my garage next to the kitchen (where I want to remove the wall) is a mirror of the kitchen same size but minus the wall, it also has a bedroom above the same size. The joist are the same width and depth but are some 16' long??

Sponsored Links
like the guys have said, you are best off consulting a structural engineer.
he will provide you with the steel size, calculations and padstone sizes.
expect the beam to be no less than 7 inches deep, plus plasterboard and skim.
funny though, that the next room has an uniterrupted span of 16 feet.
maybe the wall is for partition purposes only.
be careful though, it may be that in this particular room the joists may join on the wall in question.

and, yes b.c. will want a look too. they are the ones who will want to see calculations for the steel.

sacko1951 said:
The joist run in the oposite way the the wall. The wall is supporting cut ends.
That's going to be a bit of a pain; as already said the beam is likely to be a fair size & rather expensive. It could also be a bugger to get into place & you may have to build a brick pier either side to take the load if it's only bearing onto inner blockwork walls; best go see that structural engineer!

Thanks guys. Got an engineer coming at the weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
Sacko

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back